- Large sheets of mixed media paper. The bigger the better.
- ‘chuck away’ paper for exercises wallpaper, brown paper, old work etc
- Black soft charcoal pencils
- Black Stabilo ‘marks all’ pencil
- White gesso
- Selection of flat edge brushes 1 ½inch, 1inch, ½ inch etc
- Acrylic paint- please use what you have.
- Black ink or acrylic
- Oil sticks, pigment sticks or oil pastels
- Variety of vibrant colours
- Water spray
- Kitchen roll
- Wet wipes
- Spatula/ credit card
- Large household brushes (the scruffier the better)
- Plasterer’s scraper
- Tissue paper
- Collage paper- I use old maps
- White household paint
- White craft glue
- Plaster of Paris or talc
- Follow along videos
- Repeat the workshop as many times as you like
- Join private facebook group
- Any one that wants to learn a new form of art
Raw of silence
Using gesture and contrast we learn to embrace the Imperfections and find beauty in the flaws. With this course you will learn to abstract and distort, play with fluid marks and texture, find figures that constantly evolve and remove the need for preciousness.
Discover ways to bring looseness and emotion into your work using an array of materials. Sometimes raw and unrefined but always expressive.
You will learn all of the following techniques in this course:
-Creating energetic and unusual underpainting
-Working on one abstracted background and then dividing it up
-Learning to work fast and loose without plan or pressure.
-Use gesture lines and mark making
-Create your own silent visual language
-Free up your figure drawing skills
-Draw and paint expressive faces.
-Distort and abstract facial features to create character and interest
-Learn to bring dramatic lighting into your figure work
-Learn the importance of negative space
-Go large with size and scale
-Simple steps to paint expressive hands